Tuesday, May 18, 2010

So Help Me God • Ruth 1



But Ruth said, "Don't force me to leave you; 
don't make me go home. 
Where you go, I go; and where you live, I'll live. 
Your people are my people, your God is my god; 
where you die, I'll die, 
and that's where I'll be buried, so help me God—
not even death itself is going to come between us!"

When Naomi saw that Ruth had her heart 
set on going with her, she gave in. 
And so the two of them traveled on together to Bethlehem. 
 
Ruth 1:16-19



Why did she stay with Naomi?

She could have turned back,
she could have stayed with in her land,
with her people, with their gods.

What had she seen,
what did she learn
as a member of Naomi's household?

Did she meet You
as she lived among Naomi and her family?

And now Naomi – bereft, lonely, lost –
needs to be brought back to You.

Full of faith, Ruth sticks by Naomi's side
and lovingly carries her back home, back to You.

Ruth holds firmly to Naomi and goes with her
to a strange land, to a place she is a foreigner
and boldly takes You to be her God.

No comments: