Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Heart's Overflow • James 3


 
This is scary: You can tame a tiger, 
but you can't tame a tongue—it's never been done. 
 
James 3:7



My tongue can do so much damage. 
It has the power of life and death.

My tongue reveals what is deep inside, 
what hides in the darkest parts of me.

Deathly darts fly from a heart that holds darkness.

Only a heart full of life and light 
can produce words of light and life.

My tongue reveals the fruit of my life.

Please cleanse my heart, Lord. 
Teach me to live well, live wisely, live humbly. 
Make me holy, Lord! 
Teach me to get along with others, 
treating them better than I treat myself. 
Your wisdom brings life and light, 
it is gentle and brings many blessings.

Lord, I see our family as a little community. 
Please help us to do the hard work it takes 
to get along and live right with You. 
Teach us how to treat each other with honor and dignity.



Do you want to be counted wise, 
to build a reputation for wisdom? 
Here's what you do: Live well, live wisely, live humbly.
It's the way you live, not the way you talk, that counts.
 
James 3:13

Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life 
and is characterized by getting along with others. 
It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, 
not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced. 
You can develop a healthy, robust community 
that lives right with God and enjoy its results only 
if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, 
treating each other with dignity and honor. 
 
James 3:17-18

No comments: