Monday, May 17, 2010

Free Indeed • Galatians 5




My counsel is this: 
Live freely, animated and 
motivated by God's Spirit. 
 
Galatians 5:16



I have been set free to live free,
why do I want to return to bondage?

Following the law
wraps those chains
tightly around my wrists and ankles.

I set up my religious rules
and as I follow them
I cut myself off from Christ
and then I walk around wondering why
I am not connecting with Him.

Focusing on Christ –
following Him where ever He leads –
that brings freedom –
that brings connection to Him.

Trusting Him completely –
Who He is, what He has done is enough!

Freedom grows as I use it to serve
those in my life in love.

Freedom is destroyed when I use it
to serve myself.

When I live my life freely,
animated by the Holy Spirit,
I will not follow my selfishness.

Free life, lived for others, brings more life,
it brings fruit.

Following the law, following myself,
removes the hope that fruit will come.

Oh Lord, help me to trust You so completely that I once and for all throw aside the chains of the law, the chains of myself. Lift my eyes, my heart, my mind to You so that my eyes are turned away from my little rules, my wants, my way. Take my hands in yours and lead me where You want me to go. That is when I can run and not be weary, that is when I can be all that You made me to be. Help me to step away from the "safety" of my little box to run wildly through the fields with You.

No comments: