Thursday, May 27, 2010

Draw Close to God • James 4



When you kneel down before the Lord 
and admit your dependence on Him, 
He will lift you up and give you honor. 
 
James 4:10 NLT



I want so much to have my way,
do it myself, share my point of view,
give my opinion of others and what they are doing.

I see what someone else has,
what everyone else has (or so it seems)
and that is what I want.

I listen to the whisperings in my ear
that tell me that I can have more,
do more, be more.

LIES!

They are all lies.

Apart from You, I can do NOTHING!

I see what someone else is doing
and I think it is wrong, or how they are
going about it is wrong.

I criticize, tear down, condemn.
I think I know best, how they should live,
what they should do, where they should go.

Who am I to be their judge and jury?
What do I know? Do I know every detail,
every thought, every motive?
Do I know their destiny? Do I hold it in my hands?

My way, my desires, my "strength",
my opinion, when I choose to follow them
and fight for them all lead to chaos,
destruction and death.

You want ALL of me.

All my thoughts, all my wants,
all my desires, all my strength,
all my mind, all my heart.



So let God work His will in you. 
Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. 
Say a quiet ye to God and He'll be there in no time. 
Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. 
Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. 
The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. 
Get down on your knees before the Master; 
it's the only way you'll get on your feet." 
 
James 4:7-10 MSG


Oh Father, how willful and proud and full of myself I can be! Why I think that I can do so much better than you is beyond me. I pour contempt on my selfishness, independence and pride. Please, continue to root them out of my life. Purify me, Lord. Wash me clean. I need You and only You. I want to go Your way, in Your strength, in Your time. Please help me to see what You want me to do and to do it.



If you know the right thing to do a
nd don't do it, that, for you, it evil.
 
James 4: 17 MSG

No comments: