Friday, June 18, 2010

Simply Follow • Ecclesiastes 12




But regarding anything beyond this, 
dear friends, go easy. 
There's no end to the publishing of books, 
and constant study wears you out 
so you're no good for anything else. 
The last and final word is this: 
Fear God. Do what He tells you.
 
Ecclesiastes 12:12-13



Spending lots of time reading good books,
reading the Bible, going to Bible studies,
spending time in studies and research
may sound good and very spiritual,
but if I put all of that above God and doing what
He tells me to do, it is all worth nothing.

It all comes down to this:
Fear God and do what He says.

If I'm so worn out from getting up
before the sun to have devotions
that I cannot serve my family
in love, with patience and energy,
am I really doing what God has told me to do?
 


Lord, thank You for making it so simple, really. 
I need to love and honor You above all else. 
I need to do what You say. 
You are the Source of all I need, all that I am. 
You will tell me what to do and how to do it. 
Thank you that I can trust You completely. 
Please help me to love you with my whole being, 
and to show my love for You through my obedience to You. 
Please forgive me for getting distracted 
and going my own way over and over again. 
Thank You for always drawing me back to You.
 
Jesus said, " 'Love the Lord your God
with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.'
This is the most important, the first on any list.
But there is a second to set alongside it:
'Love others as well as you love yourself.'
These two commands are pegs; 
everything in God's Law and the Prophets
hands from them."

Matthew 22:37-40

No comments: