Sunday, June 13, 2010

Distress



I know I distressed you greatly with my letter. 
Although I felt awful at the time, 
I don't feel at all bad now that I see how it turned out. 
The letter upset you, but only for a while. 
Now I'm glad — not that you were upset, 
but that you were jarred into turning things around. 
You let the distress bring you to God, 
not drive you from Him. The result was all gain, no loss.

Distress that drives us to God does that. 
It turns us around. It gets us back in the way of salvation. 
We never regret that kind of pain. 
But those who let distress drive them away from God 
are full of regrets, end up on a deathbed of regrets.

2 Corinthians 7:8-9


Wounded
I clutched at my pain 
wrapped up in pride 
and ran for the darkness

Arrows launched in self-defense
wounded all around

Pride billowed 
like so much smoke
filling the air
snuffing out light
clarity
freedom

Justification
built up
adding to the fortification
increasing the distance
Deadly anger
dripped its poison
covered by the lies
of a proud heart

Confusion
chaos
whirling thoughts

Where did this begin?

How can it end?

The mere flesh wound
became gaping and deadly
with self treatment.

Only the One 
who had been wounded 
for all
can truly heal.

Regret so deep
gratitude so wide
I bring my wounds
to You, Jesus.

So much has been lost.
 
Please restore.
Please renew.

Please revive.

No comments: