Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Counting on God's Rule to Prevail • Habakkuk 3



"God, I've heard what our ancestors say about You, 
and I'm stopped in my tracks, down on my knees."
 
Habakkuk 3:1


"Though the cherry trees don't blossom 
and the strawberries don't ripen, 
though the apple are worm-eaten 
and the wheat fields stunted, 
though the sheep pens are sheepless 
and the cattle barns empty, 
I'm singing joyful praise to God. 
I'm turning cartwheels of joy to my Savior God. 
Counting on God's Rule to prevail, 
I take heart and gain strength. 
I run like a deer. I feel like I'm king of the mountain!" 
 
Habakkuk 3:17-19


"But the person in right standing before God
through loyal and steady believing 
is fully alive, really alive." 
 
Habakkuk 2:4


All around is darkness,
no light can been seen,
no ray of hope comes
dripping into the shadows.

Crushing down,
the weight of it all seems
relentless, endless.

When will it end?

How?

Oh the effort it takes to turn!
Forcing memories to come,
putting pen to paper,
the list begins.

Remembering,
it starts to form,
deep in the cracks,
it begins, drop by drop.

Creeping up over the treetops,
the first rays of light
break into the night.

As the remembrance continues
shaky legs strengthen,
faith bubbles up
and arms begin to raise.

You are the same all powerful One
who spoke the world into being,
who destroyed it all in the great waters
and restored it to life once more.

You are still the God who makes lakes into highways,
turns rocks into water pitchers and shepherds into kings.

Before You my heart sings and my mouth shouts praise!
You are the One and Only God!

When I choose to remember Who You are and
All that You have done,
Light bursts forth and the darkness flees.
Living water gushes forth and brings new life.

No comments: