Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just as I am, He loves me



Peter blurted out, "Even if everyone else is ashamed of you 
when things fall to pieces, I won't be."
 Jesus said, "Don't be so sure. Today, this very night in fact, 
before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times."
 He blustered in protest, "Even if I have to die with you, 
I will never deny you." All the others said the same thing. 

He came back and found them sound asleep. 
He said to Peter, "Simon, you went to sleep on me?
Can't you stick it out with me a single hour? 
Stay alert, be in prayer, so you don't enter 
the danger zone without even knowing it. 
Don't be naive. Part of you is eager, 
ready for anything in God; 
but another part is as lazy as an old dog 
sleeping by the fire." 


Now Peter got really nervous and swore, 
"I never laid eyes on this man you're talking about." 
Just then the rooster crowed a second time. 
Peter remembered how Jesus had said, 
"Before a rooster crows twice, you'll deny me three times." 
He collapsed in tears.  

Mark 14:29-30, 37-38, 71-72 msg




I know so well that eager desire, 
jumping in, signing up, ready to be and do
all that God wants me to.

I think I am so much more than I am.

Just like Peter, sometimes.

Yes, Lord! I'll give my life for You!

I'll do it!

I'll go!

Here am I, send me!

My heart leaps in excited joy,
thinking of all that I will do for Him.

But then, reality hits. 

There in the shadows, around the warming fire,
I am questioned, 
the time has come to show my allegiance.

Shaking and quaking, I back away.
I am unable. 

Humbly I see how unwilling I truly am.

I seek comfort.

I desire the warmth of His presence,
forgetting that it is not always felt. 
But it is always there. 




Trust God, my friends,
and always tell him
each one of your concerns.
God is our place of safety.
We humans are only a breath;
none of us are truly great.
All of us together weigh less
than a puff of air.
Don't trust in violence
or depend on dishonesty
or rely on great wealth.
I heard God say two things:
"I am powerful,
and I am very kind."
The Lord rewards each of us
according to what we do. 

Psalm 62:8-12 cev

No comments: