Saturday, January 30, 2010

Remembering to Remember



Today I needed to "remember to remember" once again something that the Lord showed me a while ago.

I have a few friends who God is using in big ways to touch many people's lives. They are out there doing and going and being in big, out front ways. (Not showy or for self-glorification, at all... Just out there, you know, doing the stuff that is apparent and visible.)

And once in awhile, I forget to remember that I am doing exactly what God has called me to do here in my home.

My position right now is to serve my family. But at times I feel that I am not doing enough. Today was one of those days.

Thankfully, the Lord showed me that I was believing a lie. And He reminded me of a post that I had written to a different blog I had. So, I went and dug around and found that post and read it. It was just what I needed to read. So, I am posting it here to share with you.


The post below is from April 2, 2008. 



Knowing my Position

This week I have continued reading in Genesis. At the rate I am going, I'll be in Genesis until August or September! :-) That's fine, the Lord is really showing new things in these verses that I thought I "knew" so well.

It is interesting, really, how the Lord has also been speaking to me about my position lately. (Mary's share with our Salt and Light group was also about her position. Hmmmm.) :-) What is even more interesting is just how different my position is from Mary's. She has been called, at this time, to be in a very visible, active role. Her life is very full and busy and she is being used by the Lord to touch many people's lives for His glory. On the other hand, my calling is still pretty much what it has been for quite a while now. Over and over, the Lord continues to show me that my place is in my home, with my husband and my kids, ministering to them. I also have a more behind the scenes calling to pray for, counsel with, encourage and support my friend Mary and my friend Stephanie as they carry out their callings on the "Front Lines".

Romans 12:3-6a NLT says:
As God's messenger, I give each of you this warning: Be honest in the estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much faith God has given you. Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ's body. We are all parts of his one body, and each of us has different work to do. And since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others. God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well.

We each have different roles, different gifts. We need to carry out those roles, because we each belong to the other parts of the Body. When we act within the roles we are given, we are benefiting everyone else in the Body, we are building up the Body and giving glory to God. If I compare myself to someone else and what their role is and then try to do what they are called to do, I am harming the Body and every part in it.

Genesis 6:9 says, "Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless man living on the earth at the time. He consistently followed God's will and enjoyed a close relationship with him."

Genesis 6:22 says, "So Noah did everything exactly as God had commanded him."

Noah's calling was very clear and very specific to Noah. He stuck close to the Lord and obeyed Him completely.

My calling is not Mary's calling. Nor is her calling mine. We each have an important job to do, and each of us is accountable to God to follow His will and do exactly what He is commanding us to do. I get in trouble when I start looking around and comparing what I am doing with Mary or anyone else.

It is easy to start thinking that I am not doing enough, or that I am not as "on fire for the Lord" because I am not out there touching many lives for Christ. Or, I can flip that around and possibly start judging others whose calling is not mine, thinking that they are "running around" too much or not spending enough time at home.

When those voices start in my head, that is when I need to ask, whose voice is this? Because I know that the Lord would not be saying those things to me. I need to be reaffirming my calling with Him and making sure that I am sticking close to Him and doing what He is calling ME to do.

No comments: