Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Examining My Heart


"In the marriage relationship, there is authority from
Christ to husband, and from husband to wife.
The authority of Christ is the authority of God.
Any man who speaks with God or about God
in a way that shows a lack of respect 
for the authority of Christ, dishonors Christ.
In the same way, a wife who speaks with God 
in a way that shows a lack of respect for the 
authority of her husband, dishonors her husband. 
Worse, she dishonors herself — and ugly sight,
like a woman with her head shaved."

1 Corinthians 11:3-6 msg


There is an order to life,
a way that our Creator has established
to protect, to define,
to remind us of who He is and who we are.


"All actual authority stems from Christ."

1 Corinthians 11:2 msg


In my heart and in my mind,
I set aside Christ as Lord.
He is above all.
He is the authority.
He establishes order.
All lines up as it should when I
am placing Him in the right position in my life.




"Anyone who eats the bread or drinks the cup
of the Master irreverently
is like part of the crowd that jeered 
and spit on Him in His death.
Is that the kind of "remembrance" 
you want to be a part of?
Examine your motives, test your heart,
come to this meal in holy awe."

1 Corinthians 11:27-28 msg


The attitude of my heart is vital.

Am I only going through the motions?
Taking the elements, only because they are passed to me?

Sitting in the silence,
help me to examine myself.
Help me to remember the price You paid.

Am I living my life in light of Your death and resurrection?
Am I living in complete dependence on You?
Or am I full of greed and pride, seeking only to satisfy myself?



"What you must solemnly realize 
is that every time you eat this bread
and every time you drink this cup,
you reenact in your words and actions 
the death of the Master.
You will be drawn back to this meal
again and again until the Master returns.
You must never let familiarity breed contempt."

1 Corinthians 11:26 msg

No comments: