Friday, August 26, 2011

He is the Source



For our knowledge is fragmentary 
(incomplete and imperfect), 
and our prophecy (our teaching) 
is fragmentary (incomplete and imperfect). 
But when the complete and perfect (total) comes, 
the incomplete and imperfect will vanish away 
(become antiquated, void, and superseded). 

For now we are looking in a mirror 
that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection 
[of reality as in a riddle or enigma], 
but then [when perfection comes] 
we shall see in reality and face to face! 
Now I know in part (imperfectly), 
but then I shall know and understand fully and clearly, 
even in the same manner as I have been fully 
and clearly known and understood [by God]. 

And so faith, hope, love abide 
[faith--conviction and belief respecting 
man's relation to God and divine things; 
hope--joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation; 
love--true affection for God and man, 
growing out of God's love for and in us], 
these three; but the greatest of these is love. 

1 Corinthians 13:9-10, 11-12, 13


In the past when I have read 1 Cor. 13 I have always sighed 
and stepped away feeling discouraged. 
In fact, even this morning, when I realized we were reading 
this chapter I felt heaviness and just sighed. 
I could only see what I was not and what I did not have.

Through a few different sources, 
(including vs. 13 in the Amplified Version) 
the Lord reminded me that He is the source of this love. 
I do not have the ability to conjure up true love. 
He alone is the source of real, Godly love. 
Thus, another reason that I need to put my whole trust 
in Him and rely on Him solely and completely. 
Only as I keep my eyes on Him do I become more like Him. 


“And we all, with unveiled face,
 beholding the glory of the Lord, 
are being transformed into the same image 
from one degree of glory to another. 
For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.”

 -- 1 Corinthians 3:18


“And everyone who thus hopes in Him 
purifies himself as he is pure”

-- 1 John 3:3

No comments: