Thursday, February 18, 2010

All Other Ground is Sinking Sand


The mystery in a nutshell is just this: Christ is in you, so therefore you can look forward to sharing in God's glory. It's that simple. That is the substance of our Message. We preach Christ, warning people not to add to the Message. We teach in a spirit of profound common sense so that we can bring each person to maturity. To be mature is to be basic. Christ! No more, no less. That's what I'm working so hard at day after day, year after year, doing my best with the energy God so generously gives me.  -- Colossians 1: 27-29 

 I'm finding myself being drawn to hymns this week.

Well, so far, two hymns...

But the themes are so foundational to our faith in Christ.

He is all that we need.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Anything else we try to depend on will fail.

Guaranteed.

THE SOLID ROCK

—Edward Mote (1797-1874)

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.


A friend shared this verse with me today and it goes right along with this as well:

A man without God is trusting in a spider's web.  Everything he counts on will collapse.  If he counts on his home for security, it won't last.  At dawn he seems so strong and virile like a green plant; his branches spread across the garden.  His roots are in the stream, down among the stones.  But when he disappears, he isn't even missed!  That is all he can look forward to!  and others spring up from the earth to replace him!  -- Job 8:14-18



I'd like to say that all I am relying on is Christ.

But, how often is that not true in my life on a day to day basis?

I pray that my life today will be built on the Solid Rock...

Everything else is sinking sand and spider webs.

No comments: