Thursday, January 19, 2017

What Were They Expecting?



Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.” -- Daniel 3:16-18

This morning I was reading in Daniel 3. Part of that reading contains the verses above, which I read and pondered and prayed about. I felt God say some personal things to me which I wrote in my journal, and then I went on with my day. As I was blow drying my hair it hit me just how much these verses went along with what God was showing me yesterday... see yesterday's post.

What were these men expecting as they stood before King Nebuchadnezzar, whom they had just disobeyed openly? They knew the consequences of their choices. Death had been declared for anyone who would not serve the gods of King Nebuchadnezzar or who would not worship the gold idol he had erected. They expected God to save them. But even if He didn't, their trust was fully on Him. They knew Him. They didn't just know about Him. They knew Him, so they were able to fully trust in Him in all things, in every situation, no matter the outcome.

Lord, help me to really know You, not just know about You, so that I can fully trust You in all things.

No comments: