Wednesday, January 18, 2017

What Are You Expecting?


An anology God gave me today:

Today I was baking coconut cream pies for my dad's birthday. The filling was in the crusts cooling and I was cleaning up the kitchen. As I was cleaning, I saw a glob of what looked like coconut cream pie on the counter -- so I quickly grabbed it, anticipating that sweet, silky coconut flavor. Wrong! Instead it was cold, salty, cheesy flavor. It wasn't at all what I was expecting.

You see, my daughter Josie had been fixing her lunch as I was making the pies. She had warmed up some leftover mac 'n cheese and that was what I had eagerly popped into my mouth all the while expecting coconut cream pie. Do I dislike my mac 'n cheese? No! Is it good? Yes! But, it was not what I was expecting.

Doesn't this happen to us in our daily lives, too? We go to an event, meeting, day with family, date with our husbands, our marriages, kids, etc and we have certain expectations as we walk into these things. And then what happens when it is not at all what we were expecting?

My story about the pie/mac 'n cheese turned out not so bad because I like mac 'n cheese.... but what about the time when I was a little girl at a family potluck? There sat a pretty glass plate with the cutest little pickles on it. I grabbed one, my mouth anticipating the salty, dilly goodness of a dill pickle (which I love). As I bit in and the sweet, brineyness of a Baby Gherkin filled my mouth. I nearly threw up! Yuck! I hated it! I quickly spit it out and threw it away. Are Baby Gherkins bad for you?  Do they make you sick? No. Do I like them? No way José!

So, what's the point? What do I do when my expectations are met with something completely not what I expected, or when it is something that I don't like at all? I don't know about you, but I can get upset, hurt, angry, disappointed, started blaming others, give up... the list goes on.

But, what does God's Word tell me?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. -- Proverbs 3:5-6

He fills my life with good things. -- Psalm 103:5

He knows everything about me. -- see Psalm 139

He knows the plans He has for me -- plans for hope and a future. -- see Jeremiah 29:11

He loves me! I can trust Him! Nothing can happen without His permission! (Lamentations 3:37)

His purpose is to give me a rich and satisfying life. -- John 10:10

He guides my steps. -- Psalm 139:10

He works all things together for my good. -- Romans 8:28

Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life. -- Psalm 23:6

He is for us, not against us! -- Romans 8:31

So, when things don't go the way I expected them to, whether I like the end result or not, I can rest in knowing and reminding myself of all that God's Word says is true. I can trust the One who formed me in my mother's womb, the One who know the plans for me, the One who created the stars and knows each of their names. He holds my future, He knows the whole story, beginning to end. And, oh, does it end well!

No comments: