Monday, February 7, 2011

God is Love

Painting by Gracie, age 6

This morning I feel a little melancholy,
maybe it's the grey, drippy weather,
or maybe it's because I didn't sleep well last night,
I don't know. I just feel a little blue. 
As this year has begun,
and we are now into the second month,
God has been whispering 
His Words to my soul.

He is calling me to draw closer to Him,
to rely on Him more,
to unclench my fists and let go,
to open my eyes and see Him all around me,
to give thanks and give thanks some more,
to choose joy every day,
and to trust more and more.
This morning He used my sister 
to send a reminder 
of all that He is teaching me.

As I read, tears came 
and a picture of His love for me
developed in my mind's eye.

When I was a little girl
going to school was so hard for me.
In kindergarten, I cried every morning. 
I just wanted to be home,
I just wanted my mom.

This morning I had this picture
come to mind.

I was a little girl again
standing outside a school.
It was grey and drippy,
and I had to go inside.

Jesus was standing there with me,
and for just I moment 
I expected Him to say,
"Go on, you need to go in by yourself."

But instead, 
He gathered me up in His arms
and tucked me close to His chest
and carried me inside.

I am not supposed to 
take a deep breath and
gather all my strength
and march forward into 
my day.

I am supposed lift my eyes 
up to Him.

I am supposed to lift my hands
up to Him.

I am supposed to 
lean hard into Him,
relying on His strength 
to do His work in me
and through me.




"God is love and His love will never fail me."

-- The Innocence Mission




God, the Master, The Holy of Israel, has this solemn counsel:
"your salvation requires you to turn back to me a
nd stop your silly efforts to save yourselves. 
Your strength will come from settling down 
in complete dependence on me!" 

Isaiah 30:15 msg




And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, 
you must continue to follow him. 
Let your roots grow down into him, 
and let your lives be built on him. 
Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, 
and you will overflow with thankfulness. 

Colossians 2:6-7 nlt

No comments: