Friday, November 20, 2009

Thoughts on Waiting





"I wait quietly before God, 
for my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, 
my fortress where I will never be shaken."
Psalm 62:1-2


Waiting often sounds good to me.

I, unlike a few of my very good friends, am not an activator, achiever, striver.

I like to find a cozy spot and hang there.

I like what is consistent, predictable, what is expected of me.

So, if I have to wait, and I'm in a comfortable spot, I am set. I can wait as long as I need to.

But waiting isn't always like that.

In some areas of my life I have been in a type of waiting that is not comfortable.

It has not been cozy, consistent or predictable.

I have often found myself wondering what is expected of me.

This kind of waiting is hard and a place that I do not want to hang in.

But...

This is where the Lord has said, "Shhh. Wait here. I know what I am doing. Just trust me."

Thankfully, He has given glimpses of hope, peeks at what may be to come, indications of departure preparations beginning.

There are times when I freak out and fuss and make broad declarations and start making my own plans to move. I may even take some steps out on my own.

But He knows the plans He has for me. He walks before me and beside me and behind me.

When I follow my own way, even though it looks so good and right at the beginning, it soon becomes becomes so clear that it is not His way.

So, back to the place of waiting I must go.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; 
do not depend on your own understanding. 
Seek His will in all you do, 
and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6


"Teach me how to live, O Lord.
      Lead me along the right path,"

Psalm 27:11


Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
      no shadow of shame will darken their faces.

Psalm 34:5

No comments: